A Bit About Me

My photo
Along with my daily duties as founder and head writer of HumorMeOnline.com, in 2003, I took the Grand Prize in the Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest (also known as the "It Was a Dark and Stormy Night" competition). I've also been a contributor to "The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson" and the web's "The Late Show with David Letterman". I also occupy my time writing three blogs, "Blogged Down at the Moment", "Brit Word of the Day" and "Production Numbers"...and my off-time is spent contemplating in an "on again/off again" fashion...my feable attempts at writing any one of a dozen books. I would love to write professionally one day...and by that I mean "actually get a paycheck".

23 April 2012

Day 23: Fish Tales

Today's theme, "Fish Tales", left me with an absolute nothing for an idea...and that nothing of an idea stayed with me until one dawned on me as "the photography group" (the participants here) sent around an email mentioning that today was not "Crowd" day -- but "Fish Tales" day.  I was responding to that email last nite when I had an epiphany of sorts...so I got dressed and asked my son to drive me to town in case there would be monsters and criminals waiting near the woods for me...it was right about midnite, after all. 

The strange thing was...he agreed.

More after...but first the introductions of our participants and their page links: 

 

Day 23:  Fish Tales...



They say...that if a person is brave, or foolish enough, to climb onto the Bibb-Graves Bridge shortly after midnite when the whole town is still...and snap a photo...good luck will follow them home and everywhere after that. I knew of a person once who had so much good luck after doing just that...only he snapped a whole lot of moving pictures instead - that a film of theirs was nominated for a bunch of film awards...from the soundtrack right on down to make-up. Can you imagine that? They must not have done it at midnite, tho, because they didn't win a one of 'em. But, still, you can't deny the fact that just being nominated was pretty darn near as close to winning as you can get. And almost winning a whole bunch of awards is about as lucky as one man can get.

So, one day, if you want good luck to follow you home...do as I...and Tim Burton did...and head on over to Wetumpka, Alabama, where they filmed a goodly portion of that "Big Fish" movie. And while it is a big fish tale in one way, in a whole other way...it ain't.




20 comments:

  1. I loved that movie. And I love that picture. I hope you get lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I made up the whole "fish tale"...but I tried to do it in the style of the film and tried to get Ewan McGregor's voice (from the film) prevalent enough where it sounded like something he would actually say. My son gave me the highest compliment last nite, saying that he was reading it with his voice...and that it was done very well. But...that's all part of my made-up fish tale (the bridge and the luck, etc.) - but since the bridge was featured prominently in the movie...I thought a nice "bridge fish tale" would be in order...so I invented one. :) I don't think Tim Burton will get mad at me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed the movie as well...and this photo along with your post capture the theme very well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great combo of story and photo - kind of an eerie shot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just watched that Big Fish movie again a few days ago. I don't think it was a big hit, but I remember thinking that I could've written it, and feeling jealous that I hadn't.

    I like this picture, Mariann. Although the bridge is supposed to bring you good luck, it looks a little spooky in this midnight light. And I'm impressed with your dedication to the meme this late in the game. It is a grind, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All good luck things are going to have some form of spooky or bravery involved...otherwise it's too easy to get the perk.

      Down by the water - there were signs saying to "Beware of Alligators!" I kid you not! I never saw those before - but I bet they keep a lot of the riff-raff away from the trails and the boat ramp just by that sign alone. I think that might be a "fish tale" of their own device.

      The movie, btw, seems to get better with subsequent viewings - it's already now in the Top 250 on IMDb - I think it's 223 or something - but it never was before. Some movies take a while to mellow and fall into place as they are ahead of themselves.

      Delete
  6. Oh I never saw that movie, but I am in love with this photo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the mysterious feel to the photo. It really meshes well with the story you've shared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well - the story I made up. :)

      I kinda like it - I should start circulating it and see what happens. :)

      Delete
  8. This photo has a really nice, late-at-night foggy kind of quality to it.. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved that movie and I didn't even connect it to today's theme. Thanks for taking me back! Now going to search Netflix!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is one bridge that I wouldn't like to walk across in the fog. Could you give me its GPS coordinates so that I make sure I don't?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Being slightly leery of heights, I would not push my luck on the bridge. Nice tie in to Big Fish though. That movie had some great moments.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, you are brave. I don't think I would have gone even with someone else! Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am afraid of bridges. As you can probably tell I was on the solid edge of the ground part of the bridge. :)

      Delete
  13. OK, that is HYSTERICAL. I LOVE Big Fish. So I brought it to work to lend to a guy I work with. He kept forgetting it and kept forgetting it, so I took it back. Then he got mad and made me bring it back. Just TODAY he said, "I finally watched Big Fish!" Now this.... WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hate to tell you this, but I wouldn't go anywhere in Alabama after dark! Nice photo though!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I want to go on the bridge at midnight ! Kenny :-)

    ReplyDelete