A Bit About Me

My photo
Along with my daily duties as founder and head writer of HumorMeOnline.com, in 2003, I took the Grand Prize in the Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest (also known as the "It Was a Dark and Stormy Night" competition). I've also been a contributor to "The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson" and the web's "The Late Show with David Letterman". I also occupy my time writing three blogs, "Blogged Down at the Moment", "Brit Word of the Day" and "Production Numbers"...and my off-time is spent contemplating in an "on again/off again" fashion...my feable attempts at writing any one of a dozen books. I would love to write professionally one day...and by that I mean "actually get a paycheck".

09 April 2012

Day 9: Something I Hate

This is now Day 9 in Ziva's "30 Days of Photographs II" non-contest. The days are whizzing past - and most of my photos are done within the confines of this house as I've been doing that "Ambien Experiment". Most of mine are done late at nite with horrible lighting. Maybe I'll take a few outside the next couple days and do the write-ups on Ambien; that is still a worthy experiment if you ask me. Anyway, please click on Ziva's name above to see what the contest is all about if you are new to the "game".

The other participants are as follows: MikeWJ, Nicky and Mike, Mo, Meleah, John, aka nonamedufus, Bryan, aka Unfinished Person, Malisa, Nora, LaughingMom, Tanya, Elizabeth A., 00dozo, Cheryl, Kristen, Katherine, and Ziva.

I had a few photographs of things I hated around the house taken a bit earlier tonite...the glow from the flash ruined most of them and everything had "auras". It wasn't until I got an email from someone who, at the present time, shall remain anonymous, when I got the idea for this photograph.

I present to you...Day 9: Something I Hate...




I received an email earlier tonite which cinched the deal on this one...I asked someone in a level of higher command to please leave me anonymous when I complained about someone. Long story short...they didn't. So, I typed the word up on a piece of paper and photographed it. It might be the less artistic way to go - but it speaks volumes.

I hate when people hide behind their anonymity...and say and do the cruelest things...and I hate those who cannot respect someones plea for anonymity.

So, there you have it. One word, which, in "real life" and on the Internet, has managed to hurt so many innocent people. That is something I hate above all else at this moment.



15 comments:

  1. Ugh...I made it the smaller version - and it still came out huge.

    After I get home, I'll Photoshop it to the right size. I have to leave right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you presented both sides of the argument about anonymity. At first, I thought it was just going to be one side, but then I read on and was impressed to see "the other side" too. I hate it too...and that coming from me who uses an online persona. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely done, Mariann. Like Unfinished, I like that you showed both sides of the issue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting take on the theme and on anonymity. It is sometimes very appropriate. I think we on the internet tend to get burned by it too often.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I totally get where you're coming from. Although I like my internet privacy, a person should not use their anonymity for evil purposes without owning their actions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you have used your anonymity to teach that person what it means to respect a plea for anonymity...itching powder and a BB gun?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I could leave a comment anonomously, but I can't. Damn the luck.

    I don't like anonimity. Yes, it can be useful to hide behind a fake name, as our friends Mo, Unfinished, NoName and LaughingMom (does she really laugh all that much, I wonder?) do, but it creates problems.

    For example, let's say you're an excellent playwright, but you get in trouble with the Queen, who's a bitch. So you create a nom de plume for yourself, allowing you to continue writing plays that are highly critical of the monarchy without getting your head lopped off.

    All is well and good until you fast-forward 400-500 years, and people start speculating on whether your real name was Francis Bacon, the 17th Earl of Oxford (so much more handsome than the 16th Earl, by the way) or Chistopher Marlowe. Then one day, some underfunded British film company like Merchant Ivory or Tea & Biscuits decides to make a movie about the controfversea (as they would say) over the authorship of a handful of your plays. Not a good movie, mind you -- one with car chases, gunfights and lots and lots of explosions in outer space -- but a piece-of-shit snooze-fest filled with a lot of high-and-mighty emphatic speech-making called "Anonymous," which is so boring that fall asleep face-first in your popcorn and spill your 64-ounce Coke in your lap.

    Anyway, that's what I, or somebody like me, thinks.

    Signed,
    William Shakespeare

    ReplyDelete
  8. I spelled anonymity incorrectly. You see why I wanted to leave an anonymous comment?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marian, this is a great post, and most of yours are. I just can't get the hang of the proving I'm not a robot. After 3 tries, I begin to accept the premise that I am a robot and you don't want to read what I have to say. I do try, but I fail so often.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have no idea what you or that dude William Shakespeare are talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a unique interpretation of the theme, Mariann, and you make a very good point. Great job.

    -Ziva, which is totally my real name. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. People who don't understand the meaning of anonymity drive me insane. Those who abuse it on the interwebs have led me to leave a couple of social networking sites because, quite frankly, I don't need that kind of bull in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am sorry, Linda, that you are having problems with my site. I, too, am having problems posting to websites. I've been trying to leave comments to each one every morning here (the photography participants) and today there were more than half which had issues. I have no idea if it happens to everyone or if it is on my end. I totally understand your frustration.


    I haven't reported the person who did not keep me anonymous - as then I'd probably have three people who had an issue with me. Trust me, it was a really trivial issue...I don't need to worry about things like people retaliating over a complaint.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That word means a lot to me... my father always taught to give anonymously. I hate those who give and brag openly about it to EVERYONE. Give quietly... anonymously... and you are giving more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. "I hate when people hide behind their anonymity...and say and do the cruelest things...and I hate those who cannot respect someones plea for anonymity."

    I hate that too, my friend. I really do!

    ReplyDelete