A Bit About Me

My photo
Along with my daily duties as founder and head writer of HumorMeOnline.com, in 2003, I took the Grand Prize in the Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest (also known as the "It Was a Dark and Stormy Night" competition). I've also been a contributor to "The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson" and the web's "The Late Show with David Letterman". I also occupy my time writing three blogs, "Blogged Down at the Moment", "Brit Word of the Day" and "Production Numbers"...and my off-time is spent contemplating in an "on again/off again" fashion...my feable attempts at writing any one of a dozen books. I would love to write professionally one day...and by that I mean "actually get a paycheck".

17 April 2012

Day 17: Time

There are a few of these "theme" ideas which made me wonder. As I like to think out of the box and I'm not a photographer in the proper sense of the word...the photographs I have put on here, while not going to win any competition, reflect an image in my head. I'm more a writer (don't laugh) and I believe, because I see things in "scenes" when I write...I think I would be a good script writer...such as for films. So, when I do a few of these themes...I do them - probably with a bit of a different mind, than say, a serious photographer would. I don't think that's horribly wrong - it's probably just making real photographers roll their eyes the way I roll my eyes when I read "so-called" journalists writing for the Huffington Post. So, if I've evoked any rolling of the eyes from you...I completely understand. I've been learning a bit here, too. I'm just not a "setter-upper" - I'm more a take the photo and make it fit the theme. Give me a photo of a blank piece of paper and I'll give you a reason why I thought it represents the pyramids. But...I think that's not how proper photographers think...so I am definitely thinking out of their realm. You have all been nice to allow me into your world and to say such nice things about what I've done. And for that - I am grateful. Very much so.

Before I start cueing in the National Anthem for tugging on heartstrings effect, let's take a minute to give a shout out to Ziva - because, without her, we all wouldn't be on this photo-mission. And another shout out to all these remarkable people -- who just so happen to be my fellow participants in this photography non-contest:
MikeWJ, Nicky and Mike, Mo, Meleah, John, aka nonamedufus, Bryan, aka Unfinished Person, Malisa, Nora, LaughingMom, Tanya, Elizabeth A., 00dozo, Cheryl, Kristen, Katherine, and, last -- but definitely not least, Ziva.




Day 17: My take on "Time"...


Clocks...hourglasses...sundials, the rising and setting sun, the phases of the moon, plants growing, flowers blooming, leaves falling off trees...all legitimate ways to get your point across about time.

I wanted mine to be more personal - to show the progression of time. It's not the first time to be done and it won't be the last...but it's my time, so to speak.

Below is a split photo of me...the left side (as you look at it) was when I was 26. It was my passport photo. The right side...is me, now, at 51 years old. Because of the angle of my chin in the right half...we couldn't merge it completely right and I didn't want to Photoshop any of the lines, shadows, or droopy bits away. Basically there's much more shadow under that part of my chin - but, as you age, parts of you keep growing...like the tips of your nose and your earlobes...or they probably just get saggier as that's what the rest of our bodies seem to do. Perhaps the chin changes, too. I know the little area - known as the "jowls" - get more prominent and sag as we get older. But other more subtle things seem to change as well. You can't really tell it - but I have much more hollow cheekbones now...and I have that "Greta Garbo" eyelid look going on. I actually like that bit. My lips seem thinner and they go a bit more down-turned than they used to...and my eyes aren't as wide open as they used to be. But...I don't think I've really wrinkled up like a prune...and for that, I am glad.




So...there you have it - my face...a block of time frozen forever by a shutter click. Twenty-five long years...my face spanning a quarter of a century...one score and five years ago. Either way you say it - it's been a while. Hopefully time will be on my side...for the next 25.



(Thanks go out to my son, Alex, who basically Photoshopped my two me's together - and would have been able to do the chin better if the angle wasn't as lopsided as it was...but he was the master morpher...not me.)

14 comments:

  1. What a great approach. You had big hair back then, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. I was a Jersey girl. :) All girls in Jersey did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's more than all right that you're not a photographer in the proper sense of the word. Still you bring your own unique takes on the themes and that's what counts, at least in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your approach to all the themes. This one is outstanding.

    I love photography as a form of expression as much as you love your words. My favorite subjects are out in the wild or capturing a spontaneous moment. I don't set up objects to photograph. Some of the set shots I've seen during this challenge have been amazing.

    We're all unique in how we view the world. This challenge has certainly proven that time and again, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe that one of the most interesting things about this challenge is the ways in which is brings out unique perspectives in the participants. Add pressure and exhaustion to the mix, and the results get even more interesting.

    This photo, which isn't a true photo, is amazing. Amazing in two ways: One, it depicts the effects of time in a very dramatic way; two, you were very bold and honest to make yourself the subject.

    I really like. It's arresting, and riveting. I couldn't help but study it for several minutes. Nice work, Mariann.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw Mariann, you were absolutely beautiful then, and you're just as beautiful now. I really love this photo, and I think we might have the winner of the day here. Not even Mike's fake lake can compete with the honesty of this photo. :)

    Also, I think not being a "proper" photographer gives you the edge in this challenge, your takes on the themes are truly unique, and I always look foward to seeing what you've come up with. I'm very glad you decided to join us. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Mariann!

    This photo is AMAZEBALLS!!

    You really out did yourself with this one. I absolutely love it.

    Fucking BRILLIANT!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are certainly one brave (and beautiful) lady. Even though I am a couple of years younger than you (ahem .. really, just a smidge), I probably look older and would shudder to see my past and present selves in such a composition.

    You've had a very unique style in this challenge and I look forward to seeing (and reading) more.

    Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think this is a wonderful take on the day's theme!! What a brilliant idea! Your photos and writings have been thought provoking and interesting. I like the way that you think on the theme for each day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh you guys are waaaaay too nice. I want to keep you all as I don't really have any family except my two children (I guess they count - but you know - no aunts, uncles, parents, etc.).

    I, too, have loved participating and I really look forward to the themes that aren't "obvious" to see what everyone does. To me, that's the most fun part. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The big hair then was definitely amazing. Great idea too, really brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great take on the theme. Today has prompted a lot of different ideas! Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just as you are politely apologizing for not being a proper photographer...WHAM...you post your best yet! I'm impressed. I'm impressed by your great idea to morph yourself in this way and I'm impressed that you are just as beautiful now as you were then. Minus the hair.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great take on today! I was trying to figure out if I could do something similar. Yours came out so well!

    ReplyDelete