A Bit About Me

My photo
Along with my daily duties as founder and head writer of HumorMeOnline.com, in 2003, I took the Grand Prize in the Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest (also known as the "It Was a Dark and Stormy Night" competition). I've also been a contributor to "The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson" and the web's "The Late Show with David Letterman". I also occupy my time writing three blogs, "Blogged Down at the Moment", "Brit Word of the Day" and "Production Numbers"...and my off-time is spent contemplating in an "on again/off again" fashion...my feable attempts at writing any one of a dozen books. I would love to write professionally one day...and by that I mean "actually get a paycheck".

08 October 2010

Shakespeare, Dickens and Me?




I hit a milestone of sorts the other day: I posted my 250th blog.

Now, that might not seem that monumental in the grander schemes of accomplishments mankind has made, but my blogs aren't all about my cat, or what I made for dinner last night, and none of them ever just had the "I feel :( today" comment.

Oh, trust me on that last one, there are people out there who do only that as a blog. What's worse -- there are people out there who "FOLLOW" those people's blogs.

Since I've written about so many different things...I wonder if there's a point where I have done -- or at least touched on, everything that's out there.

This recurring thought of mine has crept into my mind many times. And it's got to have come into the minds of people who are songwriters or writers of books.

Stay with me here on this one...

Beethoven had it easy.

So did Shakespeare.

The writers for "I Love Lucy"? Sheesh...all those episodes were a walk in the park compared to what today's writers have to deal with.

Back in the "olden days" - there were like, what? Five people writing songs? ANY tune you came up with was new. NOTHING sounded like anything else because 30 songs, tops, were written. How easy did those music "geniuses" have it? ANYTHING they wrote was new and innovative.

Seriously, is there any tune left that doesn't sound remotely like something else someone came out with? You might not even know the sound sounds the same - and you might not have even heard of it...totally innocent and all...but it sounds like some obscure polka ska band from Lichtenstein - and all of a sudden someone points it out via YouTube. You are now "BUSTED". Katy Perry move over.

And writers back then. Sure, there were people writing back then - but there were only like seven famous ones. Coming up with any book idea must have been - well, a writer's dream. I know for a fact, if I would have been an author in 1884, I would have been on several dreaded Victorian "summer reading lists" in schools.

"Please, sir, can I read some more?"

While I can bask in the heady thought that I probably would have been famous back then...I'd also certainly be dead by now...so it's pretty much a moot point and does me absolutely no good pondering the prodigiousness of my proposed pious past.

Alas.

So while people like Stephen King gobble up the last remaining 17 ideas which haven't been done yet...and you are on page 221 of some 93rd remake of some re-vamped vampire book from some 24-year-old author who undoubtedly has a relative working at HarperCollins, remember that I'm continually slaving away trying to think of original blogs to entertain you people.

And all for free...dammit.


:)


(Okay, I hit my 250th blog about 16 blogs ago...I'm just late getting around to writing this. I also never claimed I was good at alliteration.)

6 comments:

  1. Mariann - Trust me, (USMC-1969) it was not the Righties who deleted your Blog on FT. We actually recommended it to insure its top spot. Check out who is usually on top to see who deletes any others.

    Sorry though on doing word play on your Progressive Blog. That word tends to set me off.

    If/when any more problems, it is our little twit fondly referred to as the Varmint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem. I have no issues with anyone - they can play their little games with their little minds as that's apparently what makes them happy.

    I have long since deduced there is a hierarchy there and figured out who is probably responsible for what. It doesn't take too much mental power to figure out these things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And contrary to what a few people might think, you're not short of mental power.

    Nor are you short on imagintion or talent. Love your stories.

    Hate those letter puzzles blogger requires to post comments

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mariann, I think what is so great about your blog is that you are really letting people in. I feel like I know you and I know I like you. I too have some trouble understand why some people blog. (But there are probably many people who feel the same about me!) I have always been happy when I see that you nave a new post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Linda, so much. Considering I know a couple people whose blogs you read...that is indeed a compliment. :)

    ReplyDelete